Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Divine Domain: Technology [Second Draft]



Most times when I release new content, I never have a feeling for what works and what doesn't.

This time, the flavor was on target, as was the balance, and crunch. What people wanted were extra mechanics and clarifications, things to make the domain richer, and to keep you from having to murder your lil' robot buddy in order to heal them.

And, as it turns out, I live to serve (at least as long as it means I get to make cool stuff). Here's the changelog:

CHANGELOG:

  • Clockwork Assistant can now be healed by either making checks to repair it, or by using mending.
  • Transform Assistant is now Channel Divinity: Transform, allowing it to be used more often, but opening it into conflict with CD: Divine Toolbox.
  • CD: Transform adds more properties, earlier, allowing you 3 properties at 11th level, and 4 at 17th, up from just 3 at 17th.
  • Clockwork Assistant now has a crafting cost because parts don't grow on trees.
  • Textual edits that increase clarity, same as usual.
  • New transform ability: Shield. Gives the assistant a shield of tHP that can extend to you if you are mounted on it.
  • Added alternate rules for playing in settings without a god of Technology, and for having your faithful assistant physically carry you.
  • Better Living is now Simulacra because c'mon that sounds way better.
CONCERNS:
  • CD: Transform now essentially gives a potential flying mount at level 11. I don't think that's too outrageous, but I may be wrong.
  • Unsure of the power balance on Shield, especially the mounted bit, but it seems about right. 
WHAT I LEARNED:
  • A mounted robot friend could be a small-ish mech suit. Who'da thought. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey, great work.Was pointed to your work by a player that sent it to me hoping to use it on future characters. Got to say love the flavour so far and can't wait to see the final draft. May I recommend you submit this to the DMguild as to allow anyone testing it out to keep tabs on any updates in a more streamlined manner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also a little not. I noticed you are fearful of the flyign ability, remember there are races that get flying from the get go like the arakokra. So don't sweat it.

      Delete
    2. >DM's Guild

      I'm still considering it. Honestly, I like the format of just doing a blog and/or am frightened by new things like understanding the 5e SRD. Whichever you'll believe. :p

      >Flying

      Oh, I know about the Aarakokra. What makes me hesitant to use flying is more that DMs are extremely hesitant to use Aarakokra, and that Aarakokra are not allowed in things like Adventurer's League.

      Not that I'm expecting any of my content to be allowed in Adventurer's League, but that all says to me that flying is something to be EXTREMELY careful with. It's the Aarakokra's entire schtick, after all.

      Delete