Friday, October 20, 2017

Divine Domain: Winter [Fourth Draft]



Download a selectable-text, printsafe version here!

Winter is coming! And I can't believe it took me until the fourth draft of this to drop a Game of Thrones reference.

The Winter cleric, like the Dragoon fighter, has always been a fan-favorite that nevertheless didn't end up where I really wanted it to be. Certain abilities seemed weaker or less compelling than they should be, but the flavor and concept were strong enough to give it a lasting, endearing quality.

It wasn't a huge surprise, then, when our first Walrock-level backer on Patreon requested a revision of this domain (and another subclass, coming later)! I've always been meaning to get back to it, so I put Spooky/Scary month on hold for one project, dusted this option off, and took a fourth crack at getting it right.

So thanks @DrMoradin for requesting this project! It's been a surprising amount of fun to revise, and it was great to have your playtesting feedback to draw upon as I did so.

And if you, too, want to become a patron, you can always do so by clicking the button on the sidebar. Or the identical one right here:

Become a Patron!

Now, let's see exactly what I did:

CHANGELOG:

  • Swapped Armor of Agathys with Fog Cloud on the spell list, as AoA got very broken at spell levels higher than 5th. 
  • Cold Snap has received significant changes. This ability is now a bonus action instead of an action, is a 5-foot radius AoE instead of single target, and no longer removes the target's ability to take actions on a failed save. 
  • Rime has received a small buff, as the ability was somewhat lackluster before, but now also causes its targets to take your WIS modifier in extra damage from attacks until the end of your next turn. 
  • Blizzard has been reworked, now scaling in damage off of storm of vengeance. Blizzard now incorporates this math as well as the improved Rime. 
CONCERNS:
  • The verbage may be a little long-winded in places, might need to stealth-edit some of that later. 
WHAT I LEARNED:
  • Now's probably a great time to do a whole slew of revisions. Especially considering all the rough drafts I just released!

2 comments:

  1. I always liked this one, thanks for the new draft.
    I absolutely love the print-friendly version, hope that's a trend that will continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Print-Friendly is something I want to have for all my options, here on out!

      For some (cough, Merchants) this'll be pretty hard, but it's definitely something I want to make available.

      Delete