Halloween is here!
Well, in 23 days, depending on when you're reading this.
In any case, this month is the perfect time for me to develop some spooky/scary character options. Previous years, I've done the Awakened Undead and the Vampire. This year, Scarecrows (and maybe something else secret, if I can get around to it)!
Scarecrows, as with their representation in the Monster Manual, are living spirits bound to constructs of wood and hay, created by nefarious practitioners of the Old Ways of magic. Used as dispensable minions, scarecrows naturally become unbound from the will of their masters upon their masters' death. Now animated abominations that wander the world, scarecrows often find some small solace in the ability to achieve a perfect disguise as an ordinary, inanimate version of themselves.
- Lore, names, and backstory! All the elements of a well-rounded race writeup.
- Frighten your enemies with a glance. If it works on crows, it should work on orcs.
- Modified Living Construct feature, to illustrate with more clarity what does and does not work on the character.
- Never, ever worry about disease or poison, but you should probably worry about fire.
- Though I previously gave the same feature to ghouls under the Awakened Undead, I'm still concerned that Claws may be a little much. The alternative would be to give proficiency in the sickle, and make the sickle count as a finesse weapon.
- I can't tell if the benefits this race receive are too weighty. Race balance is still hard for me.
WHAT I LEARNED:
- Spooky/Scary month is apparently a thing now. Figures that my favorite time of year should have some of my favorite content!