Download a selectable-text, printsafe version here!
Just in time for Christmas!
It's been a long time since I've done a stand-alone subrace. I had a plan to release a whole slew of elves for every environment back in the day, but got distracted halfway through and only ended up releasing two elf subraces.
This subrace is less of a serious, intended-to-feel-canon addition to what I've created, and more of a fun, seasonal offering. Who wouldn't love to play a holiday team of yule elves, banding together to rescue Santa, or to defeat their ancestral foe the Krampus once and for all?
- Be small, but still an elf, owing to a lineage that involves crafty gnomish blood.
- Know all the tools, because you never know what you'll need to make before Christmas!
- Produce things on the fly, every short rest, using slightly tweaked Downtime math.
- Know who's been naughty, and who's been nice! Maybe even keep a list (checking twice is optional).
- Yuletide Crafting might be semi-abusible, but it doesn't seem that bad at first glance.
- This is the only elf subrace that gets a choice of ASI, but again I don't think that breaks balance too badly.
WHAT I LEARNED:
- When doing research for the lore I was writing, I found out that the Krampus actually harkens back to the pre-Christian Horned God common in pagan winter celebrations. That same Horned God is also considered a central figure in Wild Hunt mythology, so that seemed like a great starting-off point to write some lore!