Chances are, when I think something is perfect straight-off, it's way more deeply flawed than I thought.
The original Dirgesinger bard worked great as a proof of concept, but the nitty-gritty needed a lot of polish. While I was proud of how simple and short I made the whole thing, almost every ability needed some level of modification and suffered at least a small bit of bloat because of it.
Ah well, at least it's probably balanced. Probably.
- "College of the Dirgesinger" is now "College of Dirges," to keep more in-line with naming convention
- Macabre Melodies now offers a choice of two cantrips, adding thaumaturgy as a possible cantrip you can learn.
- Sorrowsong has been reworked, and now costs an action to use. It can deal psychic damage that scales with your Bardic Inspiration, and applies Incapacitated on a failed save. It's balanced to feel like an empowered vicious mockery that consumes a BI die to use.
- Death's Defiance has been tweaked, only allowing for one successful usage per short or long rest.
- Sorrowsong got changed quite a bit, which introduces a strong chance of it being buggy. It seems like it works, to me, but v0.1 also seemed perfectly fine.
WHAT I LEARNED:
- Pre-release bug checks are a great thing, I should do them more often.