Sunday, January 1, 2017

Otherworldly Patron: The Fungal Lord [ROUGH DRAFT]



Well! That was a long break.

Life needs have to come before homebrew needs, though, so I put the blog on the back-burner for a couple months while I moved to a new state. The good news is it's been a great couple months for coming up with ideas, so expect plenty more content soon.

The first thing that came to mind was this one, a warlock subclass for any of the various fungal entities that inhabit your D&D world. A warlock-by-way-of-druid, the warlocks of this patron practice a dark yet natural magic of decomposition and re-creation, growing fungus in themselves and others to bolster their defenses or raise hulking fungal servants to fight for them.

Now, the breakdown:

FEATURES:

  • Spells that reflect many properties of mushrooms, from sleep and confusion, to plant growth and contagion.
  • Render weakened foes unconscious, or kill them and consume the bodies! Dead bodies make great plant food.
  • Better yet: Raise the dead as your very own spore servant, using the Spore Servant template found in the Monster Manual. 
CONCERNS:
  • I'm not sure how you'd know when a creature has dropped below the threshold described by Sleeping Spores. I'd make your character inherently know, but that would seem slightly game-y and require extra work of the DM to make the homebrew function.
  • I'm unsure of the hit point balance of Decompose and Mycelium-Blooded. I tried to keep it conservative, but I feel like Decompose could be 10/20/25 without being ridiculous. 
  • Spore Servant could probably be used to raise some really weird and powerful things (even though the CR is capped at 6 to keep it equivalent to conjure fey), but it would only be for an hour and the feature inherently destroys the creature's body after it's done. It's intentional that a Spore Servant doesn't require concentration, to bring its point of balance slightly higher than conjure fey and thus worth a long rest level 14. 
WHAT I'VE LEARNED:
  • That I'll probably have to go back and re-make everything with my new template eventually, once I finally get neurotic enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment