A mysterious 2-week long absence? What happened?
Did I give up on homebrew? Did life happen? Did I straight-up die?
Turns out, I was working on an incredible 17-page long set of optional rules for strongholds! Well, that and a bit of the second one up there, but mostly the 17 glorious pages linked above.
What's it got in it that's so great and takes so much time? I'm glad you asked:
- A collection of base structures to build! Ranging from abbeys and colleges to palaces and trading posts.
- Rooms to expand your structure, giving it (and you) special boons and bonuses.
- Tables for merchants drawn to your structure by the expansions you build!
- Ways to further modify your rooms including building traps and making the room itself extradimensional!
- Lists of hireable hirelings! Including gold values for combat hirelings, slaves, and spellcasters.
- Two new spells! One of which summons the structure you build, the other which raises and moves sky islands.
- Guidelines for making money with your structure or making peasants revolt through taxation.
- Oh god is everything alright so much math aaaaaaaagh
- Are expansion (room) buffs roughly balanced against one another? Which are weak and which are strong?
- I'd like to differentiate the prices on expansions a little more.
- Adding more information on merchants and making money would be nice.
- Are these gold values reasonable for level 13+? This math helped me, but I'm still not 100% sure.
- Does anything break the game?
WHAT I LEARNED:
- Building core gameplay mechanics is hard.
- No, I probably didn't need an image on every page, but damn if it didn't make it pretty.