When I initially set out to make an expansion for my Strongholds content, this is not the expansion I had planned.
It just kind of happened. All 20+ pages of it.
The situation with merchants in my Strongholds project was something I was never happy with. I had some nice random-roll tables to give people an idea of what merchants they were getting, but then just shrugged and walked away when people asked exactly what these merchants were selling.
This expansion takes all the guesswork out of the equation, giving you access to 20 different types of merchants to frequent your strongholds, or even other places in your world.
And yes, I'm definitely still working on a Stronghold expansion with proper new rooms and features and what-not, this just needed to be released first to properly complete what I intended to do with merchants in the first place.
If I'm really, really lucky and have enough time, expect the next expansion to be out around this time next month.
- Twenty merchants of seven different qualities, bringing almost the entire item content of the PHB to your doorstep!
- Purchasable animals and magic items, because you have to fill those animal pens somehow.
- A wide variety of fun fluff items, from flowers that burn to clockwork mounts!
- I'm hoping the rules here aren't too obscure. I tried to make them obvious, but we'll see if anyone has complaints.
- Magic items are always tricky to include, balance-wise. I attempted to balance what I included, and I also included options to omit them, if necessary.
WHAT I LEARNED:
- Sometimes, twenty-three pages of content just happens.