Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Prestige Class: Vampire [Fourth Draft]



When the changes get smaller, the drafts get closer to completion. And this draft is full to the brim with small changes, which I take to be a good sign.

Incidentally, this is the first draft of the vampire I'd actually play. For most things I design, that's v0.2, but prestige classes are pretty special for a lot of reasons.

But about those small changes: What are they? To the changelog!

What I Changed:

  • Hit dice are now d8s, in accordance with the highest hit dice given to full casters.
  • Undead Fortitude no longer requires you be wielding no shield.
  • Sanguine Strikes now caps the spell slots it can use at 3rd level, bringing it in line with what a paladin's Smite offers and not making the class inherently better for casters. 
  • Somber Elegance is now Eyes of the Enticer, and has been rebalanced in line with other similar charm effects.
  • Minor verbage changes throughout, and a sidebar added on the last page explaining the details of multiclassing.
Concerns:
  • I almost feel as if I didn't change enough. Everything feels very balanced and flavorful, though, so I'm not sure what I would change. 
What I Learned:
  • This is easily the most satisfying project I've worked on, now that it's nearing completion. Prestige classes are hard, balance nightmares, but I'll definitely do one again sooner rather than later. 

4 comments:

  1. You are the best. I use so many of your Homebrewed Things. Make my games way better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent work. But I am curious, some of the PrCs I've seen have a ASI at 4, is there a reason you don't have one for this class? That would be a big thing to give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sinister Nourishment is the ASI here. Like the one (semi-) canon prestige class, this one takes an alternative stab at what ASIs are.

      You can also find the most recent version of this option here:

      http://walrock-homebrew.blogspot.com/2017/04/prestige-class-vampire-fifth-draft.html

      Delete