Step One: Release a whole bunch of rough material.
Step Two: Receive a whole bunch of quality critique.
Step Three: Start a new job.
Step Four: Never revise anything, ever again, forever.
Fortunately, I managed to find some time, and spent that time revising our somewhat-contentious friend, the Dragoon. Let's see what got changed.
- Aspirant Step now may be used twice/four times per rest, up from once/twice, scaling with level.
- Aspirant Step does not initially modify attacks, which is now saved for the level 7 feature.
- Ascendance is now Ascendant Strike, and modifies attacks/damage from Aspirant Step in addition to adding resistance to falling damage.
- Needle of Heaven has been heavily modified, and is now long-rest refresh dealing 10d12 + STR damage, befitting an "ultimate attack" type ability, and has a save versus prone and grounding flying targets. It has also been modified to deal radiant damage, and fluffed to be more obviously magical.
- Balance on the damage from level 7+ Aspirant Step is not 100% certain, but I'm still pretty satisfied with it versus the expected additional damage output of a Battlemaster fighter.
WHAT I LEARNED:
- Even if I give the historical dragoon a direct shout-out, some people still get angry about JRPGs co-opting the term. Ah well, can't please everyone.