People loved the first corsair!
...except for just about everything mechanical about it. Ah well.
But that's okay. I got even more quality criticism than usual, and revised most of the corsair's abilities to improve flavor and general, all-around power balance.
- Compressed Sea Legs and Bonus Proficiencies into Scallywag's Tricks, removing the additional skill proficiency while maintaining the rest.
- Moved the animal companion to 3rd level as its own feature, First Mate! The animal companion can even use a diminished form of your Sneak Attack, and is balanced against having an off-hand attack.
- Replaced Captain at the Helm with Dirty Fighting to give the class option more things to do itself, and less abilities reliant on others doing things.
- Compressed Captain at the Helm into Infamy, offering players a choice of abilities depending on whether they're a naughty or nice pirate.
- Added rules for having a hook, because really, what's a pirate without a hook?
- Balance on First Mate is something I'm sure will come up, but I'm fairly certain it trades off well against an off-hand attack. Unless there's something I didn't notice, but we'll find out.
- Touched up the companion stats a little bit, maybe not enough, let me know.
WHAT I LEARNED:
- If you're trying to make a pirate, don't make some sort of rogue-warlord. Just make a pirate.